Thursday, January 10, 2008

Seminal Fiddlers and Tunes?

This morning I ran across a blog entry a blog entry over on the Fiddle Hangout site that got me to thinking about essential fiddle tunes and seminal recordings and whatnot. I think the list at this link is a good one for anyone who is interested in highly influential fiddlers and their playing. As you'd expect with any kind of list like this, I have some disagreements with the author. For instance, I’d have picked other tunes than “Rattlesnake” to represent Bob Holt. And maybe would have picked a couple of other fiddlers to represent the Ozark style. But anyone who thinks so highly of Pete McMahan’s playing is okay in my book. (If you don’t have the 2005 (?)collection of McMahan’s recordings, 50 Old Time Fiddle Gems on Voyager Records, you need to pick it up. It’s some of the prettiest fiddling you’ll ever hear.)

My one big gripe about the above list is that it omits some Mississippi fiddlers/bands that I think have been highly influential on current old-time fiddling. Guys like The Mississippi Possum Hunters, Floyd Ming’s Pepsteppers, and Willie Narmour of Narmour and Smith. G. B. Grayson -- though he was from North Carolina and Virginia, not from Mississppi --also comes to mind.

Another take on this (sort of, but well worth taking a look at) is Charlie Walden’s list of 100 Essential Missouri Fiddle Tunes. As the title suggests, it’s tune-oriented rather than player-oriented. And the list is pretty limited by geography and Walden’s preferences. But it’s a good starting point for discussion.

And now.... back to stinkin' work.

4 comments:

Michael M. said...

You hit on a topic close to me. I learned to fiddle in Missouri, but I am Mississippian in heritage and heart. We just passed the 8th of January. The Morgan who moved my family to Mississippi fought in the War of 1812 just a few years after settling.

I got what I believe is the last copy sold of Mississippi field recordings Great Big Yam Potatoes late this summer. Earlier in the summer, I got to play with the Mississippi Old Time Music Society and to fiddle "Carroll County Blues" in Carroll County in front of Mississippi John Hurt's house. The Mississippi Possum Hunters are also from that neck of the woods. I have even escaped from Sullivan's Hollow with my life, and I finished reading Will Bill Sullivan: King of the Hollow right before going to sleep last night.

Lately, I've been playing a couple of tunes by the Nations Brothers and "Grub Springs" a lot. I hope the next time we're in a jam together, we work in both Mississippi and Missouri tunes.

Sean said...

Mike,

Did you know that Mississippi John Hurt occasionally played with Narmour and Smith?

Michael M. said...

Indeed. I am a big MJH fan. I had read that MJH backed up Narmour when Smith was unavailable. Harry Bolick's liner notes have some great information about the musicians of Carroll County. We have discussed Narmour several times on the forums at the Mississippi John Hurt site.

Michael M. said...

I forgot before to share this interview with Tony Russell about early country music stars.