Monday, September 29, 2008

Fall Weather / Contra Weekend

Well, it was a real dance filled weekend. The Childgrove Dancers here in St. Louis and their dance-caller-in-training program teamed up with the Mound City Slickers to hold contra dances at St. Louis Gateway Arch and over in the Grand Center Arts District on Saturday. It kept me and the rest of the band busy running from one place to another to play tunes for the dancers, but was a lot of fun. The weather couldn’t have been more beautiful and it’s always a blast playing with these guys for dancers.

Then Sunday night, there was a reunion of Slickers fiddler, Bill’s old band, The Road Kill Ramblers for Childgrove’s regular weekly dance out in Webster Groves. I headed on out there from stately R-B Manor to listen to the music and watch the dancers (I’m on the injured reserve list for dancing until this shoulder of mine gets stronger). What a good band! They haven’t played together for 20 years and they still sound great.

At a point somewhere in the middle of the evening, I was sitting just outside the contra line with a big grin on my face, tapping my foot and really enjoying the music and the energy and the swirling round of the dancers. One of the women dancing leaned out, smiling, right into my face and shouted, “It doesn’t get better than this!” I couldn’t agree more.

No comments: