Sunday, December 21, 2008

Old Mother Logo

While playing at the Folk School jam session yesterday, we dredged up a tune that I used to play with Janet Oriatti a lot before children and family began demanding so much of her time. Iam looking forward to a time 18 years from now when Helen and Vince will be all grown up and Janet and I can sit down and play "Old Mother Logo" again.

At any rate, someone called for this tune and while we stumbled through it, I remembered how much I liked playing it. Of course, now I have to learn it all over again since I used to play it on guitar with Janet while she fiddled and these days I'm either fiddling or playing mandolin depending n how my shoulder feels -- better and better all the time, thanks for asking. So I went in search of a recording of the tune to relearn it from and found this gem:


Old Mother Logo


It's the now defunct Yellow Dog String Band from here in St. Louis playing "Old Mother Logo" at the Folk School's 2nd or 3rd annual benefit concert at the Sheldon Auditorium. The band from left to right on your screen is Dave Landreth, Rob White, Bryan Smyth, and Andy Gribble. Yellow Dog was one of the best old time string bands to come out of St. Louis and they are missed.

Anyway, here's the tune for me to relearn it. Hope you enjoy it, too.

1 comment:

uncle Dan'l said...

Yay-hoo!

Something tells me this isn't the last I'll be hearing of that tune.
peace,
uncle Dan'l