Thursday, February 12, 2009

Finally Getting My Shoulder Fixed


As many of you who've been reading this blog know, for about a year now, I've been dealing with an injury to my left shoulder that has made it difficult to impossible for me to play the fiddle. It's been okay, because it's forced me to substitute the mandolin, and the increased practice and playing has made my mandolin playing 1,000% better than it was a year ago. So that's been an okay thing.

But after a year of this nonsense, my physical therapist suggested that the shoulder will not likely get any better without surgical intervention. So, a consult with an orthopedic surgeon was in order. That happened Wednesday and the outcome is that sometime in the next three weeks or so, I'll have a couple of holes cut into the shoulder and some obstructions cleared out of the ball joint. Then two weeks of enforced no playing tunes. After that, I should be just about good as new and able to do all the things I used to with my left arm, like getting a book off a shelf over my head, tucking in my shirt tail, and playing the fiddle.

I can't tell you how I'm looking forward to it.

I'll update my progress in this space. Stay tuned.

No comments: