Monday, April 13, 2009

Kim and Jim Lansford's New CD


Late last week the mailman dropped a copy of Kim and Jim Lansford's latest recording, Keep Your Eye Upon The Sparrow, into my mailbox (thanks, Kim!) . I've only had a chance to listen to it a couple of times, but I can say, it's pretty durn good. Kim and Jim's harmony singing is top notch as always and the selection of material is, as always, full of little heard gems. And, of course, Jim Lansford remains one of the best multi-instrumentalist string players around.

So far, stand out tracks for me are "Sal's Got a Meatskin", which I've heard them perform a few times and am glad to have it committed to CD; "Your Saddle Is Empty Old Pal" from the Stanley Bros. catalog; and "Rare Up", a fiddle tune from George Reves -- a fiddler I've never heard of before -- be sure I'll be sitting down to learn this tune soon.

To be honest, there's not a tune on the whole CD that isn't a winner.

And the very handsome package design is by the Folk School of St. Louis' director, Colleen Heine.

To order this fine CD, read the liner notes, or to hear sound clips from selected tunes, surf on over to http://www.kimandjim.com/sparrow.htm . There's a PayPal link on the page as well as snail mail ordering info.

Highly recommended.

No comments: