Monday, August 27, 2007

What I'm Essentially Listening To

Every once in a while someone asks me what the really essential old-time music CDs are. I’m always kind of reluctant to answer, because I haven’t heard all of them, so am certainly leaving some good ones out of any list I might come up with. Besides, any list I might come up with is only my opinion and that’s no better than anyone else’s opinion. Guaranteed.

But, having been pressed to do so again, here’s my latest list of maybe not essential old-time CDs, but ones that I’m listening to a lot lately:

Echoes of the Ozarks, Volumes 1 & 2 from County Records. These really are essential, especially if you’re looking for Missouri and Arkansas tunes.

Lost Indian: Fiddling on the Frontier by Chris Wig and Whitt Mead on the Yodel-Ay-Hee label. Lots of good tunes that I should sit down and learn one of these days.

Fuzzy Mountain String Band on Rounder
. This is the gold standard. I never get tired of it.

Bound To Have A Little Fun by the Orpheus Supertones. I think the Mound City Slickers (who I play with) have incorporated almost every tune on this CD into our repertoire. It’s another of those I can listen to any time.

Anything by Tommy Jarrell.

The Humdingers (featuring Brad Leftwich and Linda Higginbotham) on the Chubby Dragon label. This was recorded some years ago and only recently released. Great tunes with high energy and some of the best banjo uke playing you’ll ever hear.

Okay. Go and listen.

No comments: