Thursday, October 25, 2007

Current Tunes

Here's a short list of the tunes I've been working on getting into my fingers the last week or so.
  • Old Mother Flannigan (a squared up version that can be played for dancers)
  • Jump In The Well My Pretty Little Miss
  • Bonaparte's March
  • Hobart's Transformation
  • John Short's Tune
  • Jenny Lind Polka
Lately I've been in a polka kind of mood, which accounts for the last two titles. If this keeps up, I imagine it'll be "Red Hills Polka" next.

I've also promised some dulcimer players that I'll write out the tablature for "Bonaparte's March" for them. So, I guess I'd better find time for that in the next little while.

4 comments:

Michael M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael M. said...

Judging by the tunes on it that I know, you have a great list there. It's strange, though, how much your list shares with what I have worked on recently. I learned "Jump In The Well My Pretty Little Miss" within the last month or two. Last week, I woke up with a mutated "John Short's Tune" stuck in my head that I was able to play on the banjo(!?). After a day or two, I got Dave Landreth to tell me its name, and then I learned a more accurate version on the fiddle over the weekend. My banjo playing friend Robert asked me whether I knew "Bonaparte's March." I thought not, but then when he played it, I knew most of it and learned enough of the rest to play together. He and another banjo player or two have asked me about "Old Mother Flannigan" lately although I don't know it yet. Have you been playing "Old Kentucky Whiskey" or "Old Bell Cow" because they're a couple I'm trying to get down lately?

Sean said...

Michael,

good to hear from you as always. I do play "Old Kentucky Whiskey" but not "Old Bell Cow". "Bell Cow" is one I should pay some attention to as most of the banjo players around here (at least the Dave Landreth taught ones) play it and enjoy it. It's just not one that's yet caught my fancy.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying desperately to work up "Lost Girl" a la Foghorn Stringband....doesn't seem like a common one around here, but I'm obssessed with it. I'll put your list....on my list!