Thursday, June 07, 2007

Back from Mt. Airy

Well, Amy and I got back Sunday this week from the Mt. Airy Fiddlers Convention out in the mountains of North Carolina, but this is the first opportunity I've had to put my thoughts together about it. It was a much needed and appreciated trip. We had nice weather, met some good folks, heard lots of fine old-time music and shared a lot of tunes.

The drive out was pleasant. We rented a car, packed it full of tent, sleeping bags, cooler, Amy's knitting, and my instruments and headed east. The countryside was beautiful and we gawked at old farm houses, barns, cows, horses, goats, and pigs the whole way out. And, of course, the mountains are always good to see. Driving through the tunnels in the mountains in West Virginia tickled Amy no end.

Once we got to Mt. Airy and set up camp, we introduced ourselves to those camped around us. They made us feel awfully welcomed and we started playing tunes right away. Thanks so much to Dave, Woody, Banjo Marsha, Art, Kathy, Sherry, Linda, Dennis, Frank, Dulcimer Marsha, Sandy, Jeff, Anna from Vermont, Bryant and all the rest for treating us like they'd known us forever even though this was our first time (though, not the last, I'm sure) there. Old time music is all about community and good times, so it's not surprising that we formed our own small community so quickly.

Thanks also for turning me on to new tunes that I hadn't heard before or hadn't thought of in a long time. "Georgia Row", "Joys of Quebec", "Run Down Boot", and "La Grande Chaine" are all on my list to learn now, thanks to the bunch of you!

While I played tunes like there was no tomorrow, Amy spent time reading, knitting, talking with new friends and relaxing. I think we both needed it!

Friday night brought the band contests and Amy and I walked over from our camp to listen. There were over 100 bands competing and we heard something like 30 of them, including The Roan Mountain Hilltoppers, which was a great treat for me.

Of course, before the contests and during breaks in the action, Amy and I wandered around the vendors area for fresh lemonade, home made ice cream and to check out the instruments for sale. Also had to look at (and buy a couple of) the CDs for sale at John Hatton's Clef'd Ear booth.

So, we're back. And glad to be sleeping in our own bed, home with the kid and the cat. But we're missing Mt. Airy, too. Good thing it's only a couple of weeks until Battleground!

No comments: