Sunday, June 24, 2007

Battle Ground

Well, I'm back from the Battle Ground festival and I'm soggy, but not much worse for wear. Even though there was a lot of rain and my brother and I drove back Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday morning as we'd intended to do, we had a real good time while we were there. Saturday was beautiful. Mild temperatures and sun without a lot of humidity. No problems putting up our tents, and the new pop-up canopy I'd bought since getting back from Mt. Airy worked like a dream, giving us shade and a good place to sit, play tunes, and drink a few beers.


Picture actually taken in 2005.
I forgot to take any this year!


The evening concert was good, though too long. Afterwards, we wandered the campground, greeted old friends and new friends, and eventually found our way back to our tents and played tunes until about 2:30 in the morning. Several folks from St. Louis joined us as well as a couple of friends I'd never met before. The big surprise was seeing Bruce, who'd camped next to me at Lanesboro the last two years walk up with his fiddle. He said he hadn't been to Battle Ground for seven years! But he was walking past our campsite and heard good music and decided to sit in for a bit. We neither of us knew the other would be here! When we recognized each other it was hugs and how-ya-doin's all around. Then a few more tunes.



Again, 2005


Unfortunately, the rain came about 4:00 AM and kept it up all morning. I managed to get in another couple of hours of playing under the canopy before it, too, got waterlogged and started leaking at the seams. Then word came that there would be thunderstorms rolling in later that afternoon. So, Kevin and I packed up and headed for home. There'll always be next year!



No comments: