Thursday, July 19, 2007

I. D. Stamper: Ozarks Dulcimer

If you haven't come across it already, let me point you towards the Digital Library of Appalachia. It's a terrific resource providing online access to the archives of about a dozen special collections of Appalachian College libraries relating to southern and central Appalachian culture. Of special interest to me are the collection of mp3 files of I.D. Stamper playing and talking.

Stamper was a dulcimer player who was born in the Ozarks of Arkansas in 1904 and moved with his family to eastern Kentucky when he was young. His dulcimer playing is just terrific with a drive and energy that one hears in the Appalachian styles, but tempered by the (to my ear) less rhytmic and more melodic playing of the Ozarks. I love his playing and can't get enough of it. I hope you enjoy it, too. As well as the rest of the gold mine of music and information in these archives!

1 comment:

uncle Dan'l said...

That "Digital Library of Appalachia" is really something else -- just chock-full of musical documents of tremendous usefulness to old-time musicians generally, and of course, just interesting and fun for people interested in the culture and folkways it's concerned with. I think I discovered it myself about five weeks ago -- or maybe you told me about it and I forgot. I need to spend some more time there, so thanks for the reminder.