Thursday, July 05, 2007

No Music Related Content At All... Just Books Today

Here's hoping everyone had a big time on Independence Day. For me, it was a good chance to sit with a good book in the morning, spend some time at a barbecue with friends in the afternoon, and listen to my neighborhood sounding like Beirut in the evening.

I had high hopes for getting out in the yard and doing some much needed clearing of weeds and vines by the fence, but it just didn't happen. I'd started reading Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert the evening of the 3rd, and went right back to it over breakfast in the morning. As a result, nothing got done in the yard, and I expect to see tigers prowling that jungle any day now.

Ms. Gilbert had also written The Last American Man, which I read a couple of years ago and really enjoyed. I'm liking this latest book even more. It has food writing, a search for spiritual awakening, and some pretty funny (ha-ha, not funny peculiar) and maybe pretty insightful thoughts on love and relationships. All good stuff for a summer read.

Speaking of books, I don't read a lot of fiction, but I finished a novel a few days ago that I want to recommend. It's Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Just a terrific book that I raced through in only a couple of days. Again, highly recommended.

That's it for now. Next time, I promise more on old-time music.

No comments: